Well the Sony press conference didn’t provide much in the way of information about the Sony a7s. Here’s what we have learned.
- Ultra-High ISO sensitivity of ISO 50 to 409,600 (standard setting of ISO 200 to 104,400 in movie mode)
- Clean 4k HDMI video output “using the worlds first full pixel read-out without pixel binning”
- The a7s will be compatible with Sony’s XLR-K1M audio adapter interface
- Recording format S-log2, XAVC-S 50Mbps 1080p and 720p
- Supports 120fps at 720p
- Does not record 4k internally
Overall the information is pretty vague. Sony showed off some ISO 12,800 shots that looked pretty darn good, but didn’t mention release date, pricing, or cover any of the other in depth information about the camera. Seems like Sony simply wanted to say “me to” in the face of the Panasonic GH4 announcement.
Very disappointing that the camera is unable to record 4k internally. No idea what Sony was thinking on that one. With no sign of release in the near future, no internal 4k, and no pricing the Sony a7s seems to be a no go for video at this point. I’ll keep you posted as i find out more.
Update: Looks like pricing is out $2500 for the body, shipping in the next 2 months.